[vdr] Re: Working genindex for VDR (included)

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 02:10:56PM +0100, Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:

> Hello Werner,
> actually, you don't need genindex for your needs.
> Aalthough I apriciate your work, since I was bothered by the same problems
> some time ago. But I found a nice solution:
> Internally the index.vdr consists of one file per 00x.vdr concatenated to
> one large file. I.e. the index start with 0 with every 00x.vdr file. To
> reference the correct 00x.vdr file the number (i.e. 00x) is stored in
> index.vdr, too.
> Therefore, to distribute recordings over many CD-R you only need to split
> the existing index.vdr at the file switch boundaries. VDR doesn't mind
> starting replay with e.g. 002.vdr as long as index.vdr tells it to do so. I
> wrote a litte set of scripts/progs to accomplish this a while ago.
> To watch the movies from CD-R one of the scripts restores the files in the
> video-dir and creates a link to the 00x.vdr on CD-R (or copies it to HDD).
> By concatenating all index.vdr of one movie I am able to recreate the
> original index.vdr.
> If someone is interested I can post the collection of scripts tomorrow on
> this list.

OK, spliting is just an other way and really simple by knowing the
alignment of `struct tIndex' of VDR.   Hopefully people who've lost
their index.vdr found that tool useful ;^)

And, just thinking about it should be possible to store 00x.vdr files
onto CDROMs without index.vdr.  Just generating the index.vdr after
mounting the CDROM and importing the 00x.vdr from the mount point.
Whereas it takes some seconds to generate an index.vdr of 690Mb, though.

          Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index