[vdr] Re: Still distortions on ZDF

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  23.03.02 20:38
>
> Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >I'm still observing occasional distortions on the live signal
> >of the ZDF (ZDF:11954:h:0:27500:110:120:130:0:28006).
> >A few days ago I thought this could be because of heavy rain fall,
> >but right now it is happening again, and there is not a single drop of
> >rain falling right now (back then when it rained heavily the
> >distortions were a lot harder, though, so there might be something
> >wrong with signal strength).
>
> >I have even realigned my dish to maximum signal strength, so I can
> >rule out a misaligned dish. The funny thing is that other channels
> >like RTL or Sat.1 work flawlessly.
>
> Both are on the other ("v") polarization.

No, RTL is also 'h':

RTL:12188:h:0:27500:163:104:105:0:12003
Sat.1:12480:v:0:27500:1791:1792:34:0:46

> >Only the ZDF has these distortions.
>
> >It is apparently also independent of the individual DVB card, since it
> >happens on my primary card as well as on others (i.e. when recording).
>
> >Does anybody else see any distortions on the ZDF?
>
> No.
>
> Maybe (one of) your cable/LNB became wet? (in german: "ist abgesoffen")
>
> Exchange the cables on the LNB and the Multiswitch to
> see if now the other channels are disturbed and ZDF is clear.
>
> Maybe only the connectors became wet.

That was my guess, too. But then again I made the following observations:

- there were the above mentioned distortions on ZDF during "Wetten, dass?"
- at the same time there were also distortions on 3sat (I was able to see
  those simultaneously by inserting the output of my second DVB card into
  my tv set's "picture in picture" box)
- a recording taken on BR-alpha during the same period of time showed no
  problems at all
- there were absolutely no problems with RTL or Sat.1

- ZDF and 3sat are on the same transponder (11954, H)
- all of the mentioned channels are on transponders in the "high" band

Since I have a "quattro" LNB it has four connectors for Hi/V, Hi/H, Lo/V
and Lo/H. If one of the cables had become wet, that would have to be the
one connected to Hi/H (high band, horizontal). But the fact that BR-alpha
as well as RTL have no problems would indicate that the Hi/H connection
is ok.

The only possible explanation would be that the 11954/H transponder is
broadcasting with considerably lower power than other transponders.
This, in addition to a possible problem with my cable(s) having gotten
wet, or the heavy rain fall last wednesday, could result in the observed
situation.

So, to bring this to an end: is there somebody out there with a box that
has an "s-meter" to display the signal strength of the various transponders?
If so, could you please check whether the transponder that contains ZDF and
3sat really has lower power than the one containing RTL or Sat.1 (note that
RTL and Sat.1 are on two different transponders)?

Thanks to all who took the time to follow this thread.
I hope I didn't annoy anybody with this...

Klaus