[vdr] [Announce] nvram-wakeup-0.04

high!

I just released the new version 0.04 of the NVRAM WakeUp project.

This is a (small) program that can read and write the WakeUp time in the
BIOS (via /dev/nvram on recent 2.4.x kernels). On this WakeUp time the
computer will be powered on automatically from the soft-off state.

It is now available at

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvram-wakeup/

Here is a list of changes:

 + denotes a new feature
 * denotes a bugfix/some change
 - denotes a removed feature

2002-03-24: Version 0.04 (beta)
 * IMPORTANT: It turned out that not only the MSI boards need to be rebooted
   after making a change, but also some other boards in special cases. Therefore
   the exit states are changed. Now we have:
     0 - successful, everything is set properly. don't need to reboot.
     1 - successful, everything is set properly. must reboot the changes to take effect.
     2 - error occurred. something went wrong.
   the script vdrshutdown is changed accordingly, but if you're using your own script,
   you have to look at it.
 * Completely rewritten many parts of the main program.
 + We can handle the case now where more than one information (e.g. date
   and status) is stored in the same byte at different bits.
 + Started using debug mode for printing debug messages.
 * Added/Removed/Changed several options in nvram-wakeup-mb.h and added a more
   detailed documentation of them at the beginning of the file.
   (See into nvram-wakeup-mb.h for more information.)
 + Added some more intelligence to `guess'.
   (still consider `guess' alpha quality)
 + Added a new rule `devices' to Makefile.
   It creates /dev/nvram and /dev/rtc if they are missing.
 + Print rtc time before setting it. (was just forgotten in ver. 0.03)
 + Added several new mainboards. See nvram-wakeup-mb.h for details and credits.
   Thanks to everyone who sent me his/her board configuration.
 + Added support for storing month.
   (only for the boards with a BIOS which supports it)
 * Replaced RUN_BEFORE by NEED_TO_SHTDWN, which has a slightly different
   meaning (see README or nvram-wakeup.h for more details).
 + Added a new rule to Makefile: install.
   (The user has to adjust paths in Makefile before installing)
 * /dev/nvram and /dev/rtc are never opened at the same time now,
   (this prevented some machines from halting by `halt -p')
   Thanks to Dr. Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> for the hint.
 * Don't need write permissions for /dev/nvram if no -s/-d parameter was specified
   or ACTUALLY_WRITE==OFF

And many thanks to everyone who sent me some ideas/hints/pathces.

Have Fun!

        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain