[vdr] Re: [Mplayer-dvb] DTS Sound

On Tuesday, March 26, 2002 4:25 PM, Wolfgang Fiesel [SMTP:fie@iis.fhg.de]
wrote:
> You are right, that's a very good starting point.
> But now a more fundamental question, is this DTS feature really such a
great
> topic ?
> On most DVD collection there is no DTS sound available. The coding
algorithm
> says that DTS compress only by a factor of three (six channel on 1 hour
CD). DTS
> is a much simpler compression scheme as AC-3 or MP3. Therefore it need
much more
> bits for the same audio quality compared with AC-3 algorithm (only a
question of
> memory space).
> On the other side various "audio experts" argue that DTS sounds much
better than
> AC-3 in case of music items (not movie sound).

DTS sound is "better" due to higher sample rate. AC-3 is usualy sampled with
384 kps and DTS
comes with 768 kps and on some DVDs it is even higher. I have DVDs with AC-3
and DTS and
DTS sounds better (but that is my private impression, could also be beciuse
of the higher recording level)
All in all I would say that there is no real audible difference between AC-3
and DTS if you do not own
high end equipment (speakers).

mfg
Joachim