[vdr] Re: displaying the signal level and the snr

chris@sonnengesicht.de(Christian Schuld)  29.03.02 23:10

Once upon a time Christian Schuld shaped the electrons to say...

>On Friday 29 March 2002 21:03, you wrote:
>>alesan@manoweb.com(Alessio Sangalli)
>>>Hi, I've made a little modification to VDR to display the signal
>>>strength and the snr on the osd whenever you press ok or you change
>>>channel; it also puts the values in the syslog.

>> Nice, long missed feature!
>> But sorry, i got only
>> Signal Strength: 0dBm, SNR: 0dB.
>> ioctl returns status "noerror"(0) and sets the value to 0
>> There must be a problem on deeper levels?
>> (DVB-S 1.5 and 2.1, 2.1 primary, both running on the same channel.)

>Only the DVB-S 1.3 (see ves1893.c) returns a SNR.

Is there a way to determine the DVB-card-version automagical?
(maybe via PCI?)

Why does driver do not deliver an error?
(I inserted an errror check to the ioctl-call: Not Error returned)

>You have to check the source to see which demodulator returns
>which signal indicators.
>IIRC there is none, which works for all revisions.

That's bad...

@Alessio

The place on the OSD is not good:
Some program names are longer and areoverwritten by the SNR-String.
That does not look good ("broken") and might hide information.

Maybe a threshold will help, that SNR is only
inserted if it is falling below a critical (user definable) level?
So only in error cases the program name will be disstroyed.

In all other case it'll be displayed on a "status page"
together with other statistical informations to come some day.
(maybe number of recordings, Disk- RAM-size, kernel-
driver- vdr- card-version, chipset etc.)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index