[vdr] Re: vdr-1.0.0pre5 DVD addon v7 available + LiveAC3

Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:49:38PM +0200, Andreas Schultz wrote:
>
>>Two new version of the DVD add-on for the 1.0.0pre5 version of vdr is now
>>The -LiveAC3 patch contains a forward port of the patch posted by Dr.
>>Werner Fink (which IMHO is based on a patch by Roland Praml).
>>

> There is a great disturbance in the force....I mean, there is a great
> lag while live playing DD 5.1 (pro7/starwars), it's gone during the
> DD 2.0 comercials.
> Did you include the patches that were suppose to reduce the delay with
> the rt lib?

Yes, i did. I actualy was just watching StarWars with it and didn't notice
ant problem or lag.
However, this shows a problem i was expecting, the entiere idea of an
external AC3 decoder is IMHO flawed. By using an additional external
program, we are adding an unkown amount of buffer and processing delay
beetwen vdr and the actual output. This delay depends on too many factors
to get it right. The only way to ever get this working for everyone will be
to use an internal decoder. This will give us full control over the incured
delays and hopefully allow us to control the syncing.

In the meantime, you could try to duplicate my setup and see if it helps.
I use a SB Live with alsa-0.9beta12, the a52dec program from liba52-0.7.3
and connect vdr and a53dec through a fifo.

# mkfifo /tmp/audio

terminal 1:

# a52dec -o oss6 /tmp/audio

terminal 2: