[vdr] Re: 18 Minutes - what does that tell?

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> I don't think that it is a very good idea to stop and start disks so
> often. Maxtor specifies about 50000 start/stop cycles for its hard
> disks. If the disk starts and stops 100 times a day because of some
> events which do a disk access, then the live time is not very long. I
> would really recommend to let them run 24/7 or watch the start/stop rate
> very carefully.

Hi,
Supposing you have 3 non-overlapping recordings a day plus some events
which cause noflushd
to spin the disk up/down, let's max it to 10/day then -- which is quite a
lot I think.
Then with 50000 start/stop cycles it would be specified for about 13.5
years.
In 2015/2016 I will have a 15.8 TB holographic crystal in my box and then
noflushd will be turned off
anyway :-)

Regards
  Richard