[vdr] Re: 18 Minutes - what does that tell?

Richard Cieply wrote:

>>maybe writing the epgdata file. Use option "-E /<configpath>/epg.data" to
>>tell VDR where to save the file.
 > I had a similar behaviour and was writing the epg data to a ramdisk.
 > So this doesn't seem to be the reason.

ja isn't noflushd supposed to keep the data in memory and write only
when the memory is full?

> Another problem I had with nofushd was that it tried to store the data
> in (virtual) memory (OK, thats what it is supposed to do :-)) and then
> tried to flush a huge amount of data to the disk. Of course the disk
> was sleeping. During the spinup and flush data, often it looked like
> buffers would overflow resulting in dropouts.
> It seems that noflushd could not receive new data (from vdr) while
> flushing old ones - or at least not fast enough.

which kernel version were you using?

> Had anybody a similar problem or is somebody successfully driving a
> vdr box with noflushd?
> Maybe it's a good idea to stop noflushd on start of a recording and
> start it again when all recordings are finished?

very 'unclean', noflushd should work transparently, and vdr shouldn't
take care of calling external programs... however if it's the only
solution...

btw, with ibm hdds it's possible to download a software that lets you
set the noise/performance ratio of the hard drive: seeks become
ABSOLUTELY impossible to hear; it's also possible to set a kind of spin
down of the drive but I don't know if it's useful...

ciao
as

Home | Main Index | Thread Index