[vdr] Re: Kernel-Patch to make VDR undisturbable

Thomas Koch (tom@harhar.net) schrieb:
> Is there any difference to "nice -19 /path/to/vdr"?

Yes, there is a huge difference! "nice" only changes the lenght of time the
programm could get the CPU. A higher scheduling priority is a side-effect,
but this does not make sure that the process gets the CPU whenever he needs
it.

My scheduling method does that. With this kernel-patch the scheduling of VDR
is (nearly) independent of any other task. That means VDR can not be
disturbed by other programms (even if there are lots of CPU- or I/O intense
processes).

BTW: You can also set the nicelevel with vdrrun. It is the first parameter.
vdrrun [-nicelevel] command [arguments]
On my 133MHz box I use a nicelevel of +5 without problems.

Matthias.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index