[vdr] Re: Kernel-Patch to make VDR undisturbable

Andreas Schultz (aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de) schrieb:
> I don't think patching the kernel is the right way to go.

Do you see a possibility in userspace to make sure that VDR runs undisturbed?
I do not. IMHO a kernel modification is unavoidable.

> Besides, you should
> be able to achive the same thing by using real time scheduling priorities and
> policy. SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR should do the same thing without the kernel
> patch.

No. Scheduling VDR with realtime priority can cause deadlocks. I did tests
and whole machine stopped. A hardware reset was needed after.

Matthias.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index