[vdr] New VDR Video-/OSD-output-System (was: font )

Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Carsten Koch wrote:
>
>> Carsten Koch wrote:
>>
>>> Except for the flicker problem, the OSD has no limitations.
>>

>> I take that back.
>> What I meant was: there are no font size limitations imposed
>> by the OSD, as vdr generates the characters itself and the
>> OSD does not even know it displays text.
>>
>> As far as the OSD limitations go, there are many, including
>> the fact that OSD requests sometimes cause the firmware to
>> crash. At least on my system, this happens frequently:
>>
>> Apr  2 00:52:56 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
>> Apr  2 02:00:02 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
>> Apr  4 21:39:25 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
>>

>>> From what we know today, using the card's OSD was really a
>>
>> bad idea. I guess that is the reason why new Hauppauge cards
>> no longer have an OSD. Sooner or later it will no longer be
>> possible to buy a card that supports the OSD, so it will no
>> longer be possible to build a VDR system from new components.
>>
>> Also, a VDR system containing two Nova cards and one graphics
>> card with a TV-out will be both cheaper and have more features
>> than a VDR system containing one full DVB-S card and one graphics
>> card without a TV-out.
>>
>> Klaus, are there any plans in the pipeline to support a VDR system
>> containing two Nova cards and one graphics card with a TV-out?
>>
>> Carsten.
>>

> What about using MPlayer as output-system?
>
> MPlayer has OSD-functions included, so the VDR OSD has only to be
> rewritten to use the MPlayer OSD-function, and the MPEG is decoded by
> MPlayer.
>
> Arpi works to include even TS into MPlayer-demuxer, so MPlayer could
> become the main video-engine for VDR! As for MPlayer also has a DVB
> output-function ( -vo mpegpes ) the conventional DVB-output could be
> used furthermore by specifying the mplayer-output-type in setup.conf.

MPlayer will also be able the to handle /dev/ost/dvr in near future.

> BTW: MPlayer has a -slave function!
>
> And we could record and watch in nearly any format and codec!

Mplayer could do everything about tuning, stream handling, conversion
and displaying (not to forget SVCD and DVD playback). So only the
additional functions, like recording timers, EPG, SVDR, etc. would have
to be ported to work with MPlayer.

> Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index