[vdr] Re: font

Carsten Koch wrote:

> As far as the OSD limitations go, there are many, including
> the fact that OSD requests sometimes cause the firmware to
> crash. At least on my system, this happens frequently:
>
> Apr  2 00:52:56 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
> Apr  2 02:00:02 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
> Apr  4 21:39:25 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!

I have that here too, but since this ia a software (firmware)
Problem it should be solvable.

> >From what we know today, using the card's OSD was really a
> bad idea. I guess that is the reason why new Hauppauge cards
> no longer have an OSD. Sooner or later it will no longer be
> possible to buy a card that supports the OSD, so it will no
> longer be possible to build a VDR system from new components.

Unfortuantely your right with this.

> Also, a VDR system containing two Nova cards and one graphics
> card with a TV-out will be both cheaper and have more features
> than a VDR system containing one full DVB-S card and one graphics
> card without a TV-out.

This will certainly be cheaper, but have you ever used a gracard with
tv-out?
There are so many hassles e.g:
- bad sync (flickering, or scrolling of the picture)
- black borders (no overscan capability of the card and/or driver)
- bad colors
- no "real" PAL signals
(most cards only have a Connexant (or similar) chip on them
that are creating a rough estimate of a pal signal)

In fact i have never seen any tv-out of any past and current grapics
card that could compete with the dvb tv-out signal (the only other
tv-out with similar quality was on a Sigamdesigns Hollywood+ Mpeg2
decoder card)

Cu Ulrich

Home | Main Index | Thread Index