[vdr] Re: font

Carsten Koch wrote:

> From what we know today, using the card's OSD was really a
> bad idea.

But at the time the OSD was *THERE*, and graphics cards with
tv out would have caused extra costs. I for one am still happy with
the card's builtin OSD, and am not planning on using a graphics card with
tv out.

I also wonder about those messages saying that it should work without
the MPEG decoder, since today's fast processors can decode MPEG in
software. Well, that may be true, but such processors usually need
quite a bit of cooling, which in a way contradicts the requirement
of a VDR box being *silent*.

> I guess that is the reason why new Hauppauge cards
> no longer have an OSD. Sooner or later it will no longer be
> possible to buy a card that supports the OSD, so it will no
> longer be possible to build a VDR system from new components.
>
> Also, a VDR system containing two Nova cards and one graphics
> card with a TV-out will be both cheaper and have more features
> than a VDR system containing one full DVB-S card and one graphics
> card without a TV-out.
>
> Klaus, are there any plans in the pipeline to support a VDR
> system containing two Nova cards and one graphics card with
> a TV-out?

I will do my best to separate all major functions of VDR in a way
that a plugin will be able to replace the default "player" with
whatever it wants (e.g. a software MPEG decoder), and that the default
"OSD" can be replaced for instance with a function that prints to
a graphics card.

By default, however, VDR will still assume the primary card to have
an MPEG decoder and OSD.

Klaus