[vdr] Re: font

On Friday 05 April 2002 19:05, you wrote:
> You forget one (IMHO very important) thing: output quality. There may
> be lots of graphic-cards with TV-Out, but I've seen none that comes
> even close to the TV-Out-quality of the DVB-S, at  least not under
> those cheap ones you talk about.
I agree to you.

The best card I know is a Matrox G400/G200. I've made a patch to the
matroxfb-kernel drivers which allows to control the output parameters of the
card. Then you may adjust the brightness, contrast, saturation etc. With this
I was able to get a picture similar to the DVB-out.
Only two problems remain: 1.) The size of the picture. I was not able to
generate the overscan areas. With a correctly set up TV-set this should be no
problem, though. 2.) Synchronisation: The DVB-out is synchronized with the
MPEG decoder or perhaps free running and the decoder is synchronized against
the TV-out. This is a dedicated process, running on in the firmware of the
card. To control a graphics card in that way is difficult.

Mike

Home | Main Index | Thread Index