[vdr] Re: How to delete recordings?

Hello!

Am Montag, 8. April 2002 10:33 schrieb Steffen Koch:
> Andreas Roedl wrote:
> > At this point I wanna advice to use a filesystem like reiserfs or XFS,
> > because it takes virtually _no_ time at all to delete several gigs from
> > the hard disk. reiserfs is also a good choice for directories with a
> > _lot_ of entries (remember the recordings-menu-is-slow-problem).
>
> Can you give an advice of how to setup a reiserfs partition to fast
> delete gigs of recordings? on my machine (K6-3 400, 2*100GB Maxtor,
> reiserfs from suse 7.2) it takes approx 30 seconds to delete a 2 hour
> movie...

Let's have a look:

This is a typical recording directory filled with a movie called Solaris (3.3
GB):

  liquid:/video/vdr # du -sm Test
  3338    Test

Now I'll delete it:

  liquid:/video/vdr # time rm -r Test

  real    0m1.634s
  user    0m0.000s
  sys     0m1.020s

It took less than 2 seconds!

Some tuning tips:
 - Choose one of the latest kernels (2.4.18)
 - Build this kernel by yourself, because the kernels provided by the
   distributions (e.g. SuSE) are crap! They are not made for your processor!
 - Rebuild some of the most important packages: glibc, fileutils and so on,
   because all these packages are build for i486 not for i686.

Andi

--
Web:   http://www.flood-net.de/
Mail:  flood@flood-net.de