[vdr] Re: Kernel-Patch to make VDR undisturbable

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:51:19 +0200, Guido Fiala <gfiala@s.netic.de>
wrote:

> Really strange that some people have so much problems and little performance.

The problem is that all normally cached information is flushed from the
buffers because of reading and writing files which are much larger than
the main memory. If some of the purged information is need there have to
be new disk accesses again and the latency is not only much larger it is
also visible because you are waiting for it. A typical example ist the
recordings menu. To get the info there are probably several hundert disk
accesses necessary. This all takes a lot of time.

As I have posted before, IMHO we need a way to limit the buffer space
used by the reading/writing of large files. If this can be done other
cached important information will stay in memory and the delays will be
drastically reduced.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index