[vdr] Re: Introduction from newbie

Hello!

Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2002 10:40 schrieb Hennebert Philippe:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As I'm new to this list, I should probably introduce myself.
> I'm a mad film collector, having recorded 17200 movies (and 20,000 tv-show
> episodes) on VHS from various satellite and cable sources over the last 10
> years.

Do you have some pictures of your tape archive and living room? You'd give a
perfect stress tester of VDR! :-)

> - is the MPEG2 stream suitable for direct burning onto DVD-R (without
> conversion, just some authoring)? Are there automated authoring and/or
> burning tools for linux and/or windows? Could the authoring/burning be
> performed using the same linux box or should one use another linux or
> windows box? Is it possible to tell vdr "this part has been archived, and
> may be reused" or should reusing and archiving me done sequentially?

Of course you could burn the MPEG2PES that you get from DVB/VDR to a DVD-R
but this is not the right stream type of a DVD. Sometimes I burn the MPEG2PES
stream without any conversion to a CDR, but this is only playable by VDR
itself or some sort of computer software but not on a DVD/(S)VCD player. It
depends on the target system that replays your recordings. Conversion is
necessary for DVD/(S)VCD player. The conversion and burning process can be
automated by a script at the same VDR box. One of the most sophisticated
conversion tools is transcode:

  http://www.Theorie.Physik.UNI-Goettingen.DE/~ostreich/transcode/

Some informations about DVB/VDR:

  http://www.linuxdvb.tv/documentation/faq/cache/1.html

Fundamental infos about DVD/(S)VCD (windowish):

  http://www.vcdhelp.com/

Andi

--
Web:   http://www.flood-net.de/