[vdr] Re: Strong Influences between cards

ulope@gmx.de(Ulrich Petri)  12.04.02 16:57

Once upon a time Ulrich Petri shaped the electrons to say...

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>>
>> I have a 1.5 and 1.3 card.
>> 1.3 is the VDR-primary
>>
>> They are connected to the LNB using a "2-way splitter"
>> (or 4-way, does not matter. BTW: I found that the SNR is increasing,
>> when i do not terminate the unused pin)
>>
>> If a record is running on the 1.5 card and i unplug
>> the coax cable to that 1.5 card, the "primary"-image from
>> the 1.3 freezes too. Switching channels do not help.
>>

>> Why?

>Perhaps because its not designd to be Hotpluggable?

??
It can always happen, that the one of two LNBs (for example)
do not have sight to the satelite.
Why should that influence the other card, which hardware
is completely indpendent from the other?

>Try and disconnect the IDE cable of one disk,
>i bet the other one will stop working too.

That's a false compare:

The designer must not expect that someone disconnects
the IDE device, because it says: "i'm a _fixed_ disc".
But there are too "removable discs" (CF-Cards e.g.) which
can be removed while powered on.

And if i power down the disc on the first IDE controler,
why should the disc on the second IDE controler fail now?
They are running in two different threads/tasks with independent
hardware.

The desinger must too expect, that someone removes the floppy
There were times, where  the software did not care about,
but "illegally" removing the floppy never caused the grafic card
to fail...

The designer must expect that one card may not have no recieve.
(Think of motor driven polar mounts, removed CA, invalid keys etc. !)

But, meanwhile i found an explaination: Maybe this occurs because
that card is the only delivering who the power to the (one) LNB?

But that's not really true, AFAIK both cards are delivering power,
decoupled by diodes in the sat-splitter.
So it should not matter, which one is really conneted.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index