[vdr] What services are compatable with DVB

I'm an American and want to build a Linux DVR box, I
switch between Red Hat or Mandrake every so often, so
software side I'm ok with.  I'm not quite sure if I
can get DVB satellite though.

I went to the DVB Technology page
(http://www.dvb.org/dvb_technology/index.html) and by
looking at the 'Country_code' 840, 902, and 906 are
available in the US, although none are listed as 840
which is USA or 906 which is North America.  In the
902 code Dish Networks (Echostar Communications) is
listed, and I know a few people that have Dish
Networks.  I've been told though that Dish Networks
won't work for some reason, or he didn't know.  I
looked at the specs on their boxes and it says
'Advanced MPEG-2/DVB compliant'
(http://www.dish-rock.com/301.htm).

If I get a PCI card can I use the Dish Networks
service on it?  Is anyone by chance an American that
has already built a Linux VDR or is looking into it?

Another question is if Dish Networks won't work then
does anyone think I can subscribe to a European
service and get English channels?  The only channels I
really want are Cartoon Network, History Channel,
Nickelodeon, and maybe a few music channels, but I've
found that foreign music channels are better than MTV
or M2 anyway.

Can anyone help?

Thanx,
Stan