[vdr] Re: Your screwed if you live in the US

Stan Moon wrote:
> I was reading info on
> http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html#mpeg2na and
> found out that I can't use a DVB PCI card to get
> stations here, the boxes from various companies here
> only work with their service, so I don't think I can
> get anything on a PCI card even if I am using their
> service.

but what about free-to-air channels? Nasa tv for example, and I think
many others...

> In Europe is it different?  No matter what receiver
> you have you can get DVB signals?  I'm kinda confused,
> is it just the receivers or is it the satellite also?

there are many encryption systems and sometimes proprietary boxes offer
additional (stupid) features, like games etc etc, but basically the tv
channels are avaiable with a standard receiver with the right CAM to
decrypt it.

try to gather informations about free channels for now, they shouldn't
have restrictions over a specific decoder box etc...

sorry I can't help a lot...

ciao
as

Home | Main Index | Thread Index