[vdr] Re: hardware 19" 4HU

Comments inserted

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:12:19 +0200, Karlheinz.Pischke@t-online.de
> (Karlheinz Pischke) wrote:
>
> > this chassis
> >
> > http://www.rackmountnet.com/rackmountchassis/rackmountchassis_4ud.htm
> >
> > looks very similar to
> >
> > http://www.redaix.de/produkte/19gehaeuse/frame004-3.htm
> >
> > which I baught this chassis and I'm on the way to build a systeem.
>
> If you type in RMC4D in google you find some more companies. The
> manufacturer of this chassis seems to be Anova.
>
> > Problems seen (so far):
> > - comes without motherboard mounting kit
> > - can only use CD or DVD drive which is usually only for
> >   laptops (-> expensive)
> >   -> I have such a drive now, but it has a NON-standard combined
> >     IDE power connector (-> sh.t) which is pitily also different
> >     from 2.5" disk drives
> > - same for floppy drive: you need a very small one (laptop ?)
>
> This all is mentioned at the description. I wanted to use only 12 of the
sure it's metioned but I thought it's easier to get that stuff ...
> disk for data with two promise SX6000 raid controllers. 2 others would
> be mirrored system disks and 2 slots could be used for regular DVD-ROM
> and Floppy.
There is no way to substitue a IDE Chassis by a DVD.

> > - IDE drive chassis are not exact enough -> dangerous to break
> >   or bend the drive's IDE connector
>
> That's bad. On the other side it shouldn't be necessary to replace the
> disks very often.
>
> > - difficult to wire the 16 IDE cables under the fan holder
> >   which is between the motherboard and the drive cage
>
> May be you should use round IDE cables.
Would be the same issue. I use 3Ware 7850 controlers which have hardware
support for RAID5. Especially for RAID5 it makes a huge difference if
you do it in hardware or software !

> The problem is that there are no many alternatives for such a case if
> you want to have a compact all-in-one server combining DVB-server and
> file storage. I want to use at least 12 disks for Raid5. Regular cases
> don't have enough slots.
>
> Alternatives are:
> - use normal PC and extent with Firewire disks
>   (expensive, large, software raid, complex to handle)
> - use normal PC and extent with network storage (Ethernet and Fireware)
>   (expensive, large, power usage)
>
> Any ideas?
May be it is more useful for you and others to use external drive cases
with an integrated SCSI2IDE controler - like you get from Starline or
Transtec. Both offer solution with 12 drives.

--

Karlheinz

Home | Main Index | Thread Index