[vdr] Re: Will these work for linux?

--- Reiner Rosin <rosinr@web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Will these work for linux?
> >
> > http://www.digicams-uk.com/prod1767.htm
> > http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/cams.htm
> >
> > all these do is plug into the DVB-s PCI cards and
> > read you CIM, or that subscription card anyway,
> right?
> >  If so I can make a DVR here in the US with Dish
> > Networks service, right?  I'll subscribe, I'm not
> > getting channels illegaly.  I just need to know
> this
> > stuff before I order, 'cause I don't think it will
> be
> > easy to send back since it's all in Europe.  Also,
> > noticed these plug into the DVB-c cards, do they
> make
> > a DVB-s card like that?  If not how to I connect
> them
> > to the DVB-s card?
>
> I think there are three parts to answer your
> question:
> 1) Technically these CAMs will work in the
> CI-Interface
> of a DVBs-Card, so this will work.
> 2) Support of nagravision cams by the convergence
> DVB
> driver. As you can see on
> http://www.linuxdvb.tv/documentation/cim.html
> nobody reported about a nagravision cam under linux,
> so
> this question can't be answered ... but perhaps
> someone on
> the list is already using such a cam?
> 3) Most serious part is the nagravision stuff on
> DISH Network's
> side ... AFAIK they use a crippled version of the
> nagravision
> system which will only work with their own boxes,
> but I
> assume that DISH Network can answer this question
>
> To use a CAM with with a DVBs or a DVBc you need an
> additional CI-Inferface which is about 70-80 USD.
> This interface
> is the same for the cable and satellite version of
> the DVB-card
> (only the old SIEMENS DVBc board uses another type
> of
> CI-Interface).
>
> best regards,
> reiner

Hmm, I might try the software side first, just get the
DVB-s card and try it out, I'll obviously have a box
when I subscribe (I'm going to try a friends service,
I have cable right now, but if it works they bye-bye
cable:)

But even after that I'll like to get a cam, and I'm
sure more people in the US will try this out, someone
is bound to find it out for me.

The CI-Interface don't actually use the PCI slot they
take up, right?  They are a PCI card but no
connectors, it's just a convenient place to put it in
your pc I hope, because I'm going to use a mini-atx
board and I'm kinda crunched on PCI slots, so I can
right up the CI-Interface just inside my case
somewhere I hope.