[vdr] Re: STB VDR

On Thursday 18 April 2002 13:37, you wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:10:59 +0200, Marc Haisenko
>
> <marc.haisenko@software-for-people.com> wrote:
> > My goal ist to have a digital video recorder on top of a Geode-base
> > Allwell set-top-box with a Bt878-based TV-card. I use those Allwell boxes
> > at work and like them very much, the advantages of these boxes are:
>
> This also would be a quite nice box with a DVB-S card, especially as
> diskless client. There seem to be two different models available:
> http://www.gctglobal.com/Products/Set_Top_Box/set_top_box_0.html
>
> Do you know cheap sources for the box?
>
> Emil

Unfortunately not, I'll get mine via my employer, who gets it directly from
Allwell, AFAIK. And there are three of them
(http://www.allwell.com.tw/ia.htm). The one I have standing right here on my
desk is the STBII5112R/S (http://www.allwell.com.tw/stb-5012.htm), without
the TV tuner. But a quick search on Google yesterday revealed that there are
many distributors who sell those boxes, but none had any prices mentioned. I
guess this depends on the desired configuration and quantities.

I think they are mainly intended for developing "real" set-top-boxes and then
to buy them in quantities (they get a lot cheaper then :-) The one I have has
a different rear than the one in your link: mine just has 2 SCARTs, 2 USBs,
one video chinch out (no audio chinch out, for whatever reason...), 2
Ethernet ports and a PS/2 port. And the expansion slot, where my Bt878 card
will be :-)

I'll ask my employer about that and post what he says where to get them.
C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko