Von: Eike M. Lang [mailto:mail@elang.de]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. April 2002 17:41
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] VDR with AIO-patch seems to disable dma

Hi everyone,

I've had my VDR system up and running for a few weeks now and after getting
a DVD drive I wanted to play around a bit with the DVD feature added by the
AIO(17.4) patch/dvdnav(latest) patch.

Experiments with my other machine had already shown that smooth DVD viewing
is a no-go if DMA is not enabled for the DVD drive.

Therefore I enabled DMA for the DVD drive in my rc.local only to find that
everytime I tried to replay a DVD the drive would be set back to PIO, which
of course ruins the entire experience.

This behaviour is consistent with vdr-1.0.0 no matter whether only the
dvdnav-patch or the AIO(17.4) patch is applied.

The drive does support DMA (Toshiba 1612) and does not appear to
switch back to PIO when manually mounting it, reading from it, etc.

First starting playback and then setting dma mode reliably freezes DVD
playback no matter if I do it while the movie is being displayed, paused or
I am in one of the menus.

This behaviour is also indepndent of whether I run vdr as root or as an
ordinary user.

Any pointers to how I might remedy this situation
would be very much appreciated (searched the ML archives to no avail
already).

Regards,
Eike

--