[vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names

Of
> Stefan Huelswitt
> Sent: 21 April 2002 08:17
> To: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Subject: [vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names
>
> On 21 Apr 2002 "Simon Dean" <linux-dvb@sickhack.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I have the answer.  I was confused a little by a small
quirk.
> > You can not have directories ending with a period.
>
> If I remember right, there is an option in smb.conf which deals
> with names ending with periods. Have a look at "man smb.conf"
>
> --
> Stefan Huelswitt
> huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the full stops/periods from the
ends of directory names?  It would be easier for all samba users if the
VFAT directory format worked with the default samba settings.

Windows 2000/Xp won't even let you create directories with full
stops/periods at the ends, not from Explorer and not from a command
prompt.

I can't see the desperate need to maintaining the full stop/period at
the expense of compatibility.  Another possible work around would be to
place an underscore (which VDR reads as a space) after the full
stop/period.  I've tested that with samba and it works fine.

directory. does not work

directory  does work

directory._ does work

Simon