[vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names

Of
> Sergei Haller
> Sent: 21 April 2002 13:31
> To: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Subject: [vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names
>
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Simon Dean (SD) wrote:
>
> SD> Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the full stops/periods from
the
> SD> ends of directory names?  It would be easier for all samba users
if
> the
> SD> VFAT directory format worked with the default samba settings.
> SD>
> SD> Windows 2000/Xp won't even let you create directories with full
> SD> stops/periods at the ends, not from Explorer and not from a
command
> SD> prompt.
>
> There are much more incompatibilities between Windows-like file names
and
> unix-like file names. e.g. on a unix file system you can create two
files
> named like "File" and "FiLe" -- they are two different files. in
Windows
> you can not create this two files an the same directory, although
windows
> file systems create Files case sensitively.
>
> VDR can not handle _all_ such incompatibilities.  That's what samba is
> for. Especially if there is a special configuration parameter in
smb.conf

> just my 2 cents
>
> c ya
>         Sergei

Yeah but for me having a period at the end of a directory name is VERY
common.  All most all of the Episode descriptions of the programs I
record end in a period.  It would surely not be a big fix to remove them
or even append them with an underscore.

How likely is it that you'll get a conflict of letter case?  You would
have to record the same program twice with different cases in the title,
which would be your own fault and not that of VDR, or you would have to
have to episodes with identical names apart from the case.

If we slowly progress through the problems that Windows file and network
systems cause then we can remove some of the hurdles to Linux newbies
making use of VDR.  VDR is a great product and it deserves as much
exposure amongst Linux newbies as it does amongst Linux power users.

Please, please include a fix for this Klaus,

Simon

Home | Main Index | Thread Index