[vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names

Simon Dean wrote:

> > Gee, a few days ago I said to myself I wouldn't get involved in
> > discussions
> > about Windoze deficiencies any more. But when reading messages like
> this
> > one,
> > requiring every software to limit itself to the capabilities (or lack
> > thereof)
> > of Windoze, I just can't hold back... Why don't people march towards
> > Redmond
> > and request M$ to fix *their* product?
>
> We would if we could :)  As far as VDR goes VFAT is great for those of
> us who have to use VDR and Windows side-by-side.  Thanks Klaus for
> implementing it.
>
> On a side note - what's the reasoning behind VDR using "_" instead of "
> " in directory names?

Blanks in file/directory names always cause trouble when you access
files from the shell. This is true for both Linux and Windows. I chose
to replace blanks with underscores simply to be able to handle files
and directories from the shell without having to quote them. And since
an underscore appears rather rarely in the name of a recording, this
doesn't seem to be any limitation. If you would rather have blanks
in your file names, you can simply remove that mapping from recording.c
and shouldn't have any problem other than having to quote the names when
accessing files from the shell.

Incidently you have demonstrated a problem with blanks in your very own
question: as you can see the line was wrapped exactly at the point where
you had written " " ;-)

Klaus