[vdr] Re: instant recording - timer?

Stefaan Coddé wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> Look at the functions of a normal video recorder.
> There's no need to press a button for more time.
> If a user presses the recording button then the video recorder
> has also no idea when it has to stop unless the user ends the recording.
>
> About diskspace : VDR shows how much space there is left on the harddisk
> but the presentation is not really user friendly.  The percentage or a
> graphical
> progress bar are a fine start but we humans count with hours and minutes.
> We all know how much space a DVB recording takes but still ... I would find
> it normal if VDR shows the free space as time
>
>   example :    Recorder space: 20:15
>                         or                   20 hours 15 minutes

What about the display in the title line of the VDR main menu?
Isn't that what you mean.

> So: please; no button to add more time but just endless recording as
> default.

3 hours will be the default, but you can set that to "infinite" if you like.

> VDR could be better on that then a classic analog video recorder.
> Add for instance 'Set time' under 'stop recording' (or another name)
> As mentioned a few times now, it's handy if the user can start a quick
> recording
> but realizes that he/she won't stop it so there's where a timer can be
> handy.
> If a late night movie of 2:20 hours is being recorded and after 1:20 hours
> the users says... argh bed time.  A set time option could help where the
> user
> can enter the STOP time (24 hours format)

What's so hard about entering the "Timers" menu and setting the time there?
I don't see the need for an extra way of modifying an "instant" timer.

Klaus