[vdr] AW: Problem with large drives?

> I just mounted my 120Gb Windows drive over smb to /video3.
> Since then vdr exits with "Folating point exception" when i enter the
> main menu (seems to be the free space clacing).
> A friend also experienced this (he used a 80Gb drive, also
> mounted over
> smb), he repartioned to 2x40gb and the problems where gone.
>
> I don't know if this is smb related.
> Has any one of you used drives of that size "in one piece"
> succesfully?
>
> Cu Ulrich

hi,

had the same prob under same conditions (120GB Maxtor, Suse 7.3, 80GB FAT32 partition as /video), first time i had the error was as the first recording passed the 64GB borderline

prob is linux code related, all vfat (fat32 is a vfat-type) partitions >64GB will not mount correctly because the size-calc its a singned integer number, i pathed the source to unsigned integer and the limit is now 128GB, after recompiling i had no further problems with that

"During our testing we realized that linux fat
implementation doesn't support partitions larger than 128GB(actually 64GB
because of a bug in fat implementation).
This limitation is imposed by the data structures used by the linux fat
implementation to read/write directory entries. A 'long' data type is used
to access directory entries on the disk, of which only 28 bits are used to
identify the sector that contains the directory entry and the rest 4 bits
are used to specify offset of the directory entry inside the sector. Using
28 bits to identify a sector means we cannot access sectors beyond 128GB
(2^28*512), thus limiting us from creating partitions larger than 128GB on
large disk drives.
Vijay Kumar (jkumar@qualcomm.com)"

Home | Main Index | Thread Index