[vdr] Re: Crashes, OSD Color

Ulrich Petri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Like some other people here i also have problems with relatively
> frequent crashes of vdr (only the task, not the whole pc)
> But since i use the daemontools from dan bernstein
> (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html) it only takes some seconds to resart
> vdr and is much more reliable than the runvdr script which, at least for
> me, did not work very well.
>
> But what really "annoys" me is that after some time (varies wildly from
> 10 minutes to 10 hours) the OSD Colors are completly F****D UP. So that
> it becomes impossible to read anything, so i have to restart vdr.
> That is not really a problem for me, but for the other "non-pc" guys in
> my house ist a real pain in the ass.
>
> So i hope anyone has found out how to fix it (or why this happens).
>
> I use a rev. 2.1 board
> Suse 7.3
> siemens-dvb-01.04.2002
> Vdr-1.0.1-AIO (also happens with plain vdr from 0.99 to 1.0.1)
>
> Cu Ulrich
>
> PS: i don't want to offend anyone with this posting (especially not
> klaus who did a real great job building this). I simply wnat to point
> out where are the biggest problems in my eyes.

You're definitely not offending me ;-)

I am running

3*rev 1.3 DVB (Siemens)
VDR 1.0.1 (original, no patches)
SuSE 7.3
kernel 2.4.10
siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-04-01 (as on the VDR download page)

I never have that effect with OSD colors getting mixed up.

You wrote that this happens "with plain vdr from 0.99 to 1.0.1".
Does this mean that it didn't happen _before_ VDR 0.99, or did you
just not test versions before that? What about different driver
versions? I would suspect the driver or firmware to be the problem
area, since I believe I remember earlier postings (quite a while ago)
that stated that a restart of VDR wasn't enough to fix this - it was
necessary to reload the driver. So, when this error occurs, do you have
to reload the driver, or does a restart of VDR already fix it?

Klaus