[vdr] Disk performance (was: vdr - some general questions)

Martin Werber <werber@mpiz-koeln.mpg.de> wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > Tobias Meyer-Janson wrote:

> > > Should I expect problems concerning the disk speed if there are 1 or 2
> > > recordings and one removing operation?
> > > (Or 1-2 recordings & 1 cutting so that than the source can be deleted
> > > and removed.)
> >
> > That depends mainly on the performance of your disk.

> To disk performance i would say activate DMA with hdparm -d1 /dev/hd***
> and i think that VFAT has quite lower performance than a native linux fs

As I mentioned in my thread-starting mail (about crashes):

> My System:
> Duron 1GHz/256MB/80GB, [...]
> Suse 7.3 Pro, only reiser FS, [...]
> Elitegroup K7S5A Mainboard with on board
>     "Dual PCI IDE interfaces - support four IDE devices
>     (PIO mode 4, DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA 33/66/100)"
> 1st Controller: HD, 2nd: DVD-ROM,
> [...]
> I asked hdparm:
>     I/O support =  0 (default 16-bit)
>     using_dma   =  1 (on)

The HD is a Maxtor 4D080H4 80 GB IDE. I know it's not the fastest but I
thought some DVB-Streams would be no problem for any modern HD.
How can I check if the HD is the problem? As I mentioned earlier I have
also often digital artefacts both in picture and sound.

Is it enough to switch DMA on (hdparm says it *is* on) or should I use a
special DMA-Mode? I know different HDs and controller have different DMA
features - is this configured automatically? I think default should be
the fastest possible.

TMJ

Home | Main Index | Thread Index