[vdr] Re: My experience with Maxtor 160GB, LVM, XFS

Ralf Spitzauer wrote:

> > Steve Davies wrote:
> >
> > On the hardware side I did make two discoveries:  First is that the
> > Promise controller cannot support the big drive - it sees only 128GB
> of
> > the drive.  Secondly - the Promise controller does not support the
> ATAPI
> > DVD drive either.
> >
> > Consequently I had to put the 160GB on the secondary IDE channel, and
> move
> > the DVD drive to slave on the primary.
> >

> Hi Steve,
>
> in my System ( Asus CUBX-E with Promise onboard UDMA100) there are three
> Maxtor 160, two on the Promise and one on the onboard. All three works
> fine. The promise shows not the real size at boot time, but all three
> have full 153 GB space shown in KDiskFree. So it doesnīt matter that the
> promise donīt show the real size.

I have tried both a 120GB Maxtor and a 160 GB Maxtor on
an old Promise Ultra66. Both disks showed the right size
in df, but my disk tests proved that sectors got written
to the wrong address.

I would strongly advise against putting data you care
for on such a disk without running some kind of test
before that writes DIFFERENT numbers to each sector and
verifies them.

I have provided such a program here, please check the archives.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index