[vdr] Re: Hardware falures

I doubt that 35°C is too much for the tuner on a Rev1.3 board
but if the outside coax plug reached that temp , then it sure get's hot
inside
the tuner meaning, higher then those 35°C.
A fan can help but add's extra noise and there's a silent solution
available.

Heat has always been a problem in a PC  but everyone seems to forget the
basic
behaviour of hot air.... it rises and hit's the top of the case.
Now : this tip works only good on desktop cases and sure NO towers.

Drill many air holes thru the desktop cover, right above the tuner. Holes
with a diameter
of 3mm and pitch of 8mm will do just fine.

Second : if You place the unit in a rack, be sure that there's room enough
above the computer
so that the hot air can excape there too and there ya go... no fan needed.

Still getting too hot?  Add a heatsink on the tuner and the DSP and drill
more holes in the
cover.

I've drilled approx 1200 holes in my desktop cover.  This was needed cause
it's water cooled and the radiator
is located inside the chassis and there's no fan blowing air through the
radiator....and... it works.

Tower PC's : too bad, all cards are mounted horizontally which is VERY bad
for heat dissipation.

btw : for those who are interested.  I'mm working on a water cooled ATX
power supply but here too:
there are still ventilation holes needed on top cause *every* component on a
board generates heat.
Some more then others.