[vdr] Re: Hardware falures

Question: Do you've ever heard about heat pipes?  I do not talk about
CoolerMaster's loud CPU coolers but solutions used in industry and
for notebooks.  Would be interesting to have a source where ordinary
customers can buy such heat pipes at a normal price.  AFAIK there is
a high priced desktop PC available in germany, nevertheless heat pipes
arn't that new.

          Werner

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:31:57PM +0200, Stefaan Coddé wrote:
> I doubt that 35°C is too much for the tuner on a Rev1.3 board
> but if the outside coax plug reached that temp , then it sure get's hot
> inside
> the tuner meaning, higher then those 35°C.
> A fan can help but add's extra noise and there's a silent solution
> available.
>
> Heat has always been a problem in a PC  but everyone seems to forget the
> basic
> behaviour of hot air.... it rises and hit's the top of the case.
> Now : this tip works only good on desktop cases and sure NO towers.
>
> Drill many air holes thru the desktop cover, right above the tuner. Holes
> with a diameter
> of 3mm and pitch of 8mm will do just fine.
>
> Second : if You place the unit in a rack, be sure that there's room enough
> above the computer
> so that the hot air can excape there too and there ya go... no fan needed.
>
> Still getting too hot?  Add a heatsink on the tuner and the DSP and drill
> more holes in the
> cover.
>
> I've drilled approx 1200 holes in my desktop cover.  This was needed cause
> it's water cooled and the radiator
> is located inside the chassis and there's no fan blowing air through the
> radiator....and... it works.
>
> Tower PC's : too bad, all cards are mounted horizontally which is VERY bad
> for heat dissipation.
>
> btw : for those who are interested.  I'mm working on a water cooled ATX
> power supply but here too:
> there are still ventilation holes needed on top cause *every* component on a
> board generates heat.
> Some more then others.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index