[vdr] Re: Hardware falures

Stefaan Coddé schrieb:

> [...]

Yes, computers just aren't designed well anymore. This started in about
the 70s. For example the Altair did have simple linear power supplies
(to get 20 amps). The Apple I had a modulator designed so badly, it was
able to distort TV-sets in a range of several hundred meters (according
to rumors)
Computer hardware just isn't designed that well.

> I have no idea on the internal setup of an Ibook but it's prolly a
> combination with a
> low power CPU or somethimes called mobile CPU cause they are used alot in
> laptops
> in combination with a simple heat exchanger.
> This can be a pipe or a plate, in fact.. can have almost any form.
> Second.. how big is the harddisk? prolly a 2.5inch which make less noise and
> generta less heat
> too and power supply... internal or external and how heavy?

Well the external power supply is 45 Watts. Yes it's a 2.5" HD. but I
don't think it'S a special "low-power" processor, it's just a standard
G3 with a piece of metalic foil (not even that large) on top.

> What I mean is : there are many places where it's possible to use less for
> cooling compared
> to a standard computer setup.
>
> > > Tower PC's : too bad, all cards are mounted horizontally which is VERY
> bad
> > > for heat dissipation.
> >
> > Well it helps a bit to turn the case upside-down and install a fan on
> > one side.
>
> Indeed, such things do help a bit but You add a fan again = extra unwanted
> noise.

Well the noise inside the 19" case is no problem for me. And that fan is
"ultra-silent" almoust as silent as a harddisk.

> > Well my problem is how to get out the heat out of the 19 inch rack. I
> > currently have a 25 Watts Pabst fan installed getting the air directly
> > from outside.
>
> Phew, 25Watts...that's a heavy fan. A fan makes twho different kind of noise
> levels:
>
> 1) typical humming sound cause by the unstability of the blades.  If used in
> a light cheapo
> case then those vibrations are amplified by the case.

Yes in my case they are heavy metal blades so minimal differences can do
a lot.

> 2) air noise : the air hits alot during it's travel. This generates the
> typical 'whoosh' sound.

Yes this is found in the "air-inlet hose".

Both reasons are why I usually don't turn it on, unless maybe even in
summer during the day when I don't sleep.

> Try this: remove the cover of the chassis and turn the computer on.
>             Measure the temperature and if all stays at a reasonable level
> then you can throw
>             every system fan away and even think on a noiseless system.
>             btw, it's expensive tho. There not soo much difference in price
> between a futureclient
>             and my media box.... but my media box supports more.

Well one thing I've been thinking of is using a chimney. That way the
warm air could circulate up. This could also move the fan to a position
far away from whereever I am.

One thing I definitely would _not_ recommend is oiling fans. It often
makes things worse.

Servus
  Casandro

Home | Main Index | Thread Index