[vdr] Ad skipping - was: PVR users are thieves

On Thursday 02 May 2002 13:33, you wrote:
> Hello!
>
> From /.:
>
> It was bound to happen - 2600.com is reporting that Turner Broadcasting CEO
> Jamie Kellner is calling PVR users thieves. When asked why personal video
> recorders are bad for the industry, Keller says 'Because of the ad
> skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show
> is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on
> an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button
> you're actually stealing the programming.' Since when have we made
> contracts with the broadcasters for watching their content? More of the
> 2600 article can be found here.
>
>   http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1113
>

> Andi

To get back on-topic:

Does VDR support "ad-skipping" ? I guess this could be done by kind of
"pattern-recognition": most TV stations feature a logo in one of the corners,
and they disappear while running ads. So if the station logo disappeares the
ads begin and if the logo reappears the show continues. To be on the save
side one could cut out everything 5 seconds after the disappearing of the
logo and 5 seconds before the logo reappears.
C'ya,
	Marc

Home | Main Index | Thread Index