[vdr] Passive mode of VDR/EPG scan schedule for saving electricity

>  > I don't know for sure, but if the driver is unloaded, the power to lnb
>>  is (AFAIK) turned off and also the ARM isn't working, is it? So i think
>>  it will prolong the lifetime !?
>>
>>  Cu Ulrich
>
>Well the problem which might arrise here is temperature. If the voltage
>is turned on, the LNB will be heated, but if you turn of the heat it
>cools down and heats up a lot so the temperature isn't as stable as it
>is when you leave it on constantly.

I don't think that changing temperature of the LNB does influence its
lifetime a lot. But a multiswitch and two LNBs consume some Watts and
most multiswitches go in a standby mode (and turn off the LNB power)
when no DVB receiver is running (yes, it's sufficent when no DVB
driver is loaded, I've tried it with a Watt-meter). I don't want to
switch off my VDR-Box, because I'm using it as a Webserver too (and
for VDR admin), so a passive mode would be ideal.

Because of that I thing there should be a menu item to start a
one-time EPG scan (or even a schedule function for EPG scanns)
combined with a passive mode, I don't want to consume a lot of
electricity only for scanning the EPG of all channels all day long.
Maybe a scan of each channel two times a day (or even once?) is
enough?

Dany

Home | Main Index | Thread Index