[vdr] Re: What about an passive mode of VDR?

Rainer Zocholl schrieb:

> yosuke.tomoe@gmx.net(Martin Neuditschko)  03.05.02 13:05
>
> Once upon a time Martin Neuditschko shaped the electrons to say...

> There are DVB-API Calls to sent the DVB-boards to "sleep"
> and "deep sleep".
> We had that issue approx. 4 (?) month ago.
>
> When you find time to implement "turn all unused cards off"
> i assume that a lot people would be very happy, including me ;-))
>
> Each DVB Cards "eats" at least aprox. 10W, 24h a day.
> 4 Cards are 40W
> if one is recording+watching 12h a day, 35W*24 are wasted!
>  840Wh 365 days makes 307 kWh/a year wasted(!)
> with (only) 15c/kWh 45,99Euro a Year for nothing!
> 3,83 Eur each month for nothing...
>
> How many DVB-boards are running? 100.000 ?
> That's lot of power wasted. over 300000 Euro each month.
>
> Of cause the power down event saved a lot power already.
> But not everybody can use it.

Well powering off is not really an option to all of us, like me. However
we might implement several additional levels of power savings.
How about lowering the voltages used for the LNB. Maybe we can save some
additonal energy back then, even when we watch TV.

I've just gotten an inspiration. Has anybody ever tried if the DVB card
still gets warm when you disconnect the shield? (Mine's currently
defective). If it doesn't, we might actually build our own LNB power
supply. Maybe it could be a lot more efficient than the current one.

Servus
  Casandro

Home | Main Index | Thread Index