[vdr] Re: What about an passive mode of VDR?

> > Well the problem which might arrise here is temperature. If the voltage
> > is turned on, the LNB will be heated, but if you turn of the heat it
> > cools down and heats up a lot so the temperature isn't as stable as it
> > is when you leave it on constantly.
>
> Any circuit which heats up and down often will have shorten lifetime
> as the board and wiring have heavy mechanical movements
> when temperature is changing.

Did I understand it right?
If I configure my LinuxVDR-System to power up and down automatically
before/after recordings, it would also power up and down the LNB and so
reduce its lifetime?
I'm wondering if this is for sure or a controverse discussion is still
going on.

At the moment I plan to configure my system for energy-saving reasons to
power off if it is going not to be used for some hours. So I expect it
to power up and down once or twice daily. If I had a normal digital
receiver, I think I would power it up and down much more often this,
wouldn't that affect the LNB (adversely)?

Does it make any difference if one has a LNB including the multiswitch
or 2 separated units? In my case it's the latter and the multiswitch has
its one power supply.

TMJ

Home | Main Index | Thread Index