[vdr] Re: Newbie Q: anything else than Suse?

Am Montag, 6. Mai 2002 20:20 schrieben Sie:

> Hello Simon,
>
> Monday, May 6, 2002, 11:38:54 AM, you wrote:
>
> SD> I'm using Red Hat 7.2.
>
> like I do.
>
> SD> No problems with compiling VDR and the DVB drivers from source.
>
> That's right. Generally Red Hat makes a lot less trouble if you want
> to walk away from the standard distribution.
>
> SD> You can get the Red Hat ISOs from their FTP site.
> SD> Can't you do the same with Suse?
>
> No you can't! Which is IMHO another reason to stay away from their
> distribution.

This is a mailinglist, not a storybook :-)))
What's about:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.3
Looks like a download area for me.

> Don't get me wrong. SuSe is quite ok, and it looks like most people
> are using it, but the linux world is not turning around the SuSe hub,
> it's turning around RedHat.

That's definitiv not true!
Ever tried to install an Oracle database engine on Redhat...?? Oh boy it's a
real odyssey!
Hey, I you want _ONE_ distro for both dedicated machines like servers, hosts,
vdr-machines and  also for a workstation config, SuSE is the best I've ever
seen.
All you need is included, never again hunting through the net, searching,
downloading and compiling all the stuff, which is missing in other distros!
German docu is also a advantage...... for german speeking people!
My opinion only!!

Home | Main Index | Thread Index