[vdr] Re: experimental ALSA support for VDR

On Monday 06 May 2002 21:00, Thomas Glomann wrote:
> On Saturday 04 May 2002 20:14, Andreas Schultz wrote:

[...]

> so in order to get full DolbyDigital sound with VDR all I need is a cheap
> SBlive 5.1 and a 5.1 speaker set, right ??

right, i fact, that was the reason i started the patch in the first place. I
only have a SB Live and a 6 speacker system. Using a52dec or ac3dec gave me
to much problems (missing center, audio not synchron).

> I am just asking because because I thought that the SBlive's 5.1 decoder is
> not (yet) supported under linux and I don't want to waste my money on
> buying an analog 5.1 speaker set which then is useless.

The patch does not use the hardware 5.1 decoder of the SBLive, it uses only
the analog output and output routing features. AC3 decoding is purely
software based.

> So I would greatly appreciate if you can definately tell that it will work

I have been told, that external DD/DTS receivers produce higher quality
output.

> and is there any difference between analog and digital out ???

for analog output, the cpu has to do all the work, for digital one has only to
pass along the data to an external (eventualy expensive) DD receiver.

If you already own a DD/DTS receiver, buying another 6 speacker set is
definetly a waste of money, if you already have all the speakers and the
sound card, the patch is the right way to go. If you are planning to buy a
new sound system, a DD/DTS receiver is probably the better choice

> I hope you continue developing your patch !

I will

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index