[vdr] Re: OT: copying ISO images (WAS: anything else than Suse?)

On Monday 06 May 2002 23:32, you wrote:
> "Simon Dean" <linux-dvb@sickhack.com> wrote:
> > > this is the same link in english:
> > > http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/lmuelle_suselinux_internet.html
> >
> > Hi, I can't find anything on that page that says that it is illegal to
> > copy the Suse ISOs.
>
> i don't think, that copying the images is illegal, at least here in
> austria and i think also in germany, as you are allowed to copy
> everything for private use. this also includes sharing with friends!
> finaly it depends on, how someone defines "friends". ;-)

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this is true for music but not for software
(at least in Germany). You are allowed to make exactly one backup-copy of any
software you buy but you are not allowed to "lend" it to a friend, AFAIK.

But with music (and maybe videos) this is another story: you may make as many
private copies and even give these copies to as many friends as you like as
long as you don't demand any payments (demanding just the price for the blank
CD is OK though).

And I'm pretty sure that there is a legal definition for "friends" ;-)
C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko