[vdr] Re: Fast booting - was: Re: Re: Newbie Q: anything else than Suse?

Dear Marc,
I am very interested in that modifications on Suse 7.3. Can you give some
hints how to make the changes to the original init system ? What files
should I take from LinuxFromScratch ? Have I to dive very deep into that, or
can you give me a little ToDo-list?

(must not be perfect, but like a guideline...)

Thanx
jm

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 13:03, you wrote:
> vdr@olivierjacques.com wrote:
> > - Who installed VDR and other components on another distrib?
>
> me
>
> > - Which one (name and release)?
>
> Slackware 8.0
>
> > - Any special "hints" to make it compile/run on this distrib?
>
> nothing than the normal installation
>
> > - Which one would your recommend (again, except Suse)?
> >
> > I was about to go for The Mandrake 8.2...
>
> nooo Mandrake is too big for this, it's WELL suited for a desktop
> system, not a set-top-boxed one.
>
> With Slackware I have 42seconds boot time including bios etc; tweaking a
> bit the startup scripts would require even less.
>

> bye
> as

How about the Linux from Scratch Project (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) ?
It involves some work but IMHO you can't boot any faster ;-) I've set up an
Set-Top Box here at work with it and because I have a far better control
over
what gets on the system and how it is booted I managed to make a small Linux
that boots in about 10-15 seconds (without X, of course).
I later found an easier way to set up a fast booting customized Linux: I
installed a SuSE 7.3 with just the packages I needed and replaces SuSEs Init
script with the ones from Linux from Scratch. That eliminates the use of
that
strange rc.config and other stuff and boots about as fast as my attempt with
a complete Linux from Scratch system, but is much faster and easier to set
up
and much easier to maintain. I'm pretty sure the process is strait-forward
with any other distro as well.
C'ya,
	Marc

--