[vdr] Re: My power/noise/heat saving ideas

I'm going a different way - I want to locate my VDR PC in a different
room to my TV. Then I don't care how loud it is!

I think it should be pretty simple to run audio and video cables between
the rooms, as well as a couple of serial cables (one for the IR, and one
for the LCD panel which I want to add later on).

Anyone see any problems with that?

Finally, to make it all pretty, I will install the LCD display and IR
receiver into a small external disk-drive case, so that visitors will be
well impressed by my "tiny" fully-featured VDR!

Cheers,

Matt

--

> Thomas Keil wrote:
> >
> > > 2. Replace all small power supplies (those you put into your wall
> > > outlet) by the power supply of your computer (it has more power than you
> > > think)
> >
> > Actually a friend of mine is working on a power supply that so much
> > oversized (on purpose) that it gets along without ventilation.
> >
> > > 3. Try to avoid harddisks:
> >
> > I installed a second harddisk cage in my box on springs.
> > You don't hear them any more even if the housing is open, let alone
> > closed :)
> > I can make a photo of this if you want.
> >
> > For the rest... well, a watercoolant for the CPU is in progress but a
> > bit tricky if you build it from scratch with old scrap (used motorcycle
> > cooler from Ebay, self-drilled cooler for the CPU etc)...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index