[vdr] Re: Distributed VDR

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> I think you are looking for a to perfect solution. In a first step I
> think this isn't necessary. I personally would be happy to have just the
> functionality behind timer, schedule and recording menu replaced by
> administration requests to the server. The user interface on the client
> computer stays the same, but instead of getting the info locally
> requests to the server will fullfil the function.

I didn't think about such a huge solution, but about a quick hack for a
two-machine-setup (only few people will have the need for more machines
at the moment) until API and plug-ins are available.

I only want to deactivate the full-DVB-X-check and the DVB-output on the
Server to use only low-budgets, and to deactivate the recording-function
on the client.

The command-line was only a suggestion to avoid creating patches for any
  new VDR-version.

Another question to Klaus:

Will the new API-structure of VDR allow to do parallel recordings on the
low-budgets? Will it be possible to get the complete TS inside VDR?

The main goals for my personal setup are the following:

I want a central server with low-budgets only, a DVD-ROM/Writer and the
functions of VDR (of course, that server won't need a video-output-system).

Additionally it should be able to do parallel recordings on the
low-budgets. The MPEG-stream should be directly saved in VOB-format.

And then I'd like to have a web-interface-plugin which should provide
all functions of VDRADMIN and a FFSERVER-like streaming-server (RTP or
RTSP) to get access to all recordings and all TV/Radio-channels the
low-budgets are tuned to just in the moment by web-interface (with all
channels parallel available on a transponder by one low-budget).

On the clients I only want to run a browser, plugger and Mplayer (the
"-slave"-option could be used to controls Mplayer by the VDR-server)

So it would be possible to have a central multimedia-server and any
simple PC with a browser and a mediaplayer could serve as client.

The problem I see is the OSD. Embedding it into the video-stream would
cause high CPU-load (decoding, reencoding, ...). The possibilities I see
are 1.) Using a web-interface (most compatible, but unhandy), 2.) Muxing
the OSD as second video-stream into the MPEG-stream and the Player would
have to do some overlay. Any suggestions?

We wouldn't need thousand ways of cable-systems in a house.
Only Ethernet and - maybe - WLAN. :o)
(Phone, TV/Radio, etc. could all be served with IPV6 over Ethernet or WLAN).

Klaus, what do you think about VDR being the central multimedia-system
in any european house-hold within the next five years and your name on it?

I know I'm dreaming, but without dreams there wouldn't be future!
Let's do one step after another, but keep in mind to have an open API to
keep flexible.

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index