[vdr] Re: VDR Plugin System - First Step

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Alessio Sangalli (AS) wrote:

AS> Sergei Haller wrote:
AS>
AS>
AS> > there are several languages using non-latin letters
AS> >  - tere are some for which font files could be easily created
AS> >    (like cyrillic and greek)
AS> >  - and some which are much more complicated
AS> >    (like chinese or arabic)
AS> >
AS> > if someone is going to reimlement (a part of) the font selection in vdr,
AS> > maybe at least the first block of languages could be covered.
AS>
AS> generating the fonts it's pretty easy,

yes.

AS> the problem could be using it;  I'm not an expert of internalization
AS> and character codes but I could create a cirillic font for you (it's
AS> easy) and you can try it out to see what happens... mh?

creating such a font isn't the problem (there are different character code
tables for the cyrillic alphabet, though). vdr should be able to select a
different font file depending on the selected language first.

if you're going to implement such a functionality, I could test it and
write the Russian i18n.c entries.

I think, the font selection should be done on a per-string basis. just
imagine some new constants in i18n.c which don't have a translation - they
would have to be displayed in english then (with a standard font)

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain