[vdr] STL std::xxx [WAS: VDR Plugin System - First Step]

Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> > Excuse me for my unqualified comment, but wouldn't it be way better
> > and safer to use STL containers like vector instead of implementing
> > your own linked list ? The behaviour of these containers is well
> > known to every C++ developer, they are well tested and offer a good
> > range of access methods.
>
> Well, maybe I'm a little old-fashioned here, but I like to use my own
> classes, where I know exactly what they do and why they do it...

hmm, this quite surprises me. a grep throug vdr shows, that you even do
not use std::string. to do such an big c++ project without STL seems
like much "wasted" time to me, as the basic stl-types like string, list,
vector, map, ... are really handy and easy to use. i would expect the
binary to become smaller, also. i once had similar feelings about using
stl in my programms, but this changed, after i saw how much more compact
my programms got with stl.

at the end it stays a matter of taste, but maybe you should give it
a try ... ;-)

only my 2 cents ...
clemens

Home | Main Index | Thread Index