[vdr] Re: nvram-wakeup & K7S5A

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Tobias Meyer-Janson (TM) wrote:

TM> > On Fri, 10 May 2002, Tobias Meyer-Janson (TM) wrote:
TM>
TM> > TM> I have a problem configuring the wake-up-settings for my system.
TM>
TM> > TM>      #define NEED_REBOOT ALWAYS
TM> > TM>      #define ADDR_DATE   0X51
TM> > TM>      #define SHIFT_DATE  3
TM>
TM> > TM> Because of the first setting I have to change something in
TM> > TM> /etc/init.d/boot (Suse 7.3), am I right?
TM> > TM> I found the file nvram-wakeup-0.04b/reboot/suse-7.2.diff but I don't
TM> > TM> know what to do with it.
TM> >
TM> > it's a patch (see README, 9.A)
TM>
TM> Yes, but how do I use such a patch? (I have not much Linux experience
TM> yet.)

simply
  cd /etc/init.d
  patch < suse-7.2.diff

look in
  man patch
for more details on using/applying/crceating patches.

but as I said, I would encourage you to try the B first:

TM> > but give 9.B a try first, it is a more general, more elegant and an easier
TM> > solution.
TM>
TM> Easier? It looks much more complicated to me. What I want to say: I have
TM> no idea how to realize that solution. For example currently I use kernel
TM> 2.4.10 for pentium on Suse 7.3. I don't know if I have to expect any
TM> problems using the givven 2.4.17 kernel for 386.

it is much simplier than you think:
 - the kernel you normally use (whichever version it is) will still be
   loaded for normal use.
 - if nvram-wakeup changes the values and requires a reboot, it will tell
   lilo to use the "poweroff" kernel on the next boot (ond _only_ on the
   next boot), reboot with the "poweroff" kernel, which would poweroff
   your PC.
 - when the timer hits, your "normal" kernel will be loaded for normal
   use.

TM> Also I don't know what APM is and if I need it or not.

APM is Adwanced Power Management. A part of it is the poweroff feature -
if you disable APM, a
  shutdown -h now
will shutdown your computer and print a message like "You can switch your
computer off now".
With APM enabled, the same command would shutdown your computer and turn
it off.

TM> And this are not the only points I do not understand, so therefore I
TM> am asking here for an advise.

Don't hesitate to ask. But since this is slightly off-topic on this list,
we could move to nvram-wakeup-devel ML (http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=35022)
or to PM

TM> > TM> I found that the date is also stored in 0x70 in BCD-Format.
TM>
TM> > it's not unusual, you can add
TM> >  #define RTC_DATE    0x70
TM> > to the config.
TM>
TM> Both, ADDR_DATE and RTC_DATE? Doesn't it interfere with each other,
TM> because of the following points:
TM> - for ADDR_DATE (0x51) there has to be SHIFT_DATE 3 and RESET_DATE OFF,
TM>   but for RTC_DATE (0x70) it should be SHIFT_DATE 0 and RESET_DATE ON.

TM>   Or does SHIFT_DATE only affect the ADDR_DATE and RESET_DATE only
TM>   RTC_DATE?

exactly. (as the description of the parameters in nvram-wakeup-mb.h tells)

TM> > what was the output of 'guess'?
TM>
TM> I did not use guess, but I can mail some xxd /dev/nvram outputs

would be fine.

TM> I write here at the end of this message an excerpt:
TM> [...0xC6...0x10...]

I have to leave right now, I'll look into the addresses tonight.

BTW: since you are still trying out the settings, how do you know that you
need the folloeing line?

TM>      #define NEED_REBOOT ALWAYS

BTW2: even if your board really needs to be rebooted _always_, you can
test the functionality of nvram-wakup with manual reboots:
 - set the date/time
 - shutdown -r now
 - turn off your PC when the BIOS messages come.
 - wait until it wakes up.

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de