[vdr] Re: VDR Plugin System - First Step

Stefan Huelswitt wrote:

> On 10 May 2002 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> >> BTW: the make package should build an archive with an directory
> >> name without "vdr-" in front. This would follow the naming style in the
> >> PLUGIN/SRC directory.
> >
> > The idea behind prepending it with "vdr-" was that it isn't (in your
> > case) an MP3 player by itself, but rather an MP3 "plugin" for VDR.
> > So I think the suggested naming convention does make sense.
>
> >From this point of view: yes. But as the directory in PLUGINS/SRC
> is named "pluginname" and the archive unarchives to
> "vdr-pluginname-0.0.1", this doesn't looks good IMO.
>
> If wasn't talking about the archive name, but about the directory
> name inside the archive.

Ok, you got a point there.

However, usually when one gets a TGZ archive named  "abc-def.tgz" one
(or at least I) would expect it to unpack into a subdirectory named
"abc-def", and not just "def".

In the end it doesn't really matter how the archive is named, so I don't
want to make this a philosophical discussion ;-)
I'll therefore make it the way you suggested, naming the archive "vdr-name-0.0.1.tgz"
and making the contents expand into "name-0.0.1" - unless somebody else
jumps in on this thread with additional arguments...

Klaus