[vdr] Re: bad record / playback quality

chfritz1@yahoo.com(Christian Fritz)  13.05.02 13:13

Once upon a time Christian Fritz shaped the electrons to say...

>Hello

>Have managed to install vdr 1.0.2 on
>a Pentium 166 Mhz

That's not much, AFAIR just sufficient.

Is here someone recording "VDRs record of slowest CPUs" ;-) ?)
(on a web page)

>with 64 MB Ram

What IDE mode? (hdparm)

>with Suse 8.0 and Siemens 1.3 DVB Card. (many thanks
>to bashy!)

>However if I start to play back a recording the
>quality is very bad.

>Still pictures are ok
>but as soon as the content changes (f.e. people walk)
>there are only big blocks instead of details
>only the background which does not change is in good
>quality .

>It looks like a compressing / decompressing problem
>Top shows only about 25 % CPU load during playback and
>even less during recording.

>The filesystem is reiser

Reiser is good for many small files, VDR has only few but big.
Use ext3 or better XFS

Change the default format paramters (at lest od ext3) to
fit the requirements.
Ext3 will reserve hundert thousands of file entries you
will never need on VDR.

>and the partition for /video is on a empty 80GB
>Diskdrive.

>(disk is in dma mode)

verified? (becuse i just foudn a slowwww PC which "forgets"
DMA mode on reach reboot/powerup.

what does "hdparm -t" say?

>tried another disk but same problem

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich